Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Is it fall already? Can we add a few more hours into the day?

Now that school has started and the temperature has started to drop, I have a constant case of FOMO.  My inbox is full of emails about different clubs, intramural sports, social events, company presentations, team meetings, and then classes.  Then there is me in the middle trying to find a balance between involvement and personal life.

The first week of classes Sloan hosts Club Pitch and Fest where all the student clubs are on display for an evening and students can ask questions and sign up.  The main thing I learned that there are a lot of clubs!  So far I have committed to volleyball club (free and no required time commitment) and then tentatively joined SWIM (Sloan Women in Management) and Happy Belly club (yum).  The rest is still TBD for the clubs as I figure out how I can stretch the number of hours in a day.



Another thing I learned is to only buy groceries that you can freeze.  There are so many ways to get free food on campus.  Any Sloan meeting over lunch provides food, when companies come on campus they bribe us with food, and there is even an email list that will go out with the locations of free food.  I started planning for freezer/crock pot meals so that if a week gets too busy, at least I didn't waste food.

I have written about a handful of the LGO social events over the summer.  The number of fun things to do more than doubles when all the Sloanies came on campus.  The first big class party of the semester was conveniently held across the street from my apartment.  There are ocean brunches, ladies nights, and so many fun things going on that I can't keep track of it all.

Personally, I am starting to get into the wedding planning process so spending time with my fiance is also a big priority.  He moved across the country with me so I can go to school so spending all my time on campus without him is not an option I will consider.

Next week is mid-stream week where all the second year LGOs will be back in town to present on their progress with their internship.  It will be a great chance for us first years to hear more about the internships and hang out with the second years.  It also means that app the partner companies are in town.  That makes for a crazy busy schedule and lots of good things to go to.
Mid-Stream week schedule, AHHH!

So as this fall starts picking up speed, I am going to try to keep on top of things.  Because we have an internship with a partner company, I am planning to minimize my time spent on traditional recruiting events and focus on LGO events.  I will also try to have one night a week as an "early night" where I am home by 6pm and not working on school stuff to keep the personal life in balance.

As always, the adventure continues.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Carrie for sharing your views with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great post that really describes just how much is going on, how many opportunities exist, and finding the balance between everything. Great job, Carrie!

    ReplyDelete