Friday, July 17, 2015

Welcome to Cambridge

I was ready for a change.  After living in Kansas for 26 years, I was ready for the next adventure. 

Two months ago I left my job, my family, and large apartment (I could fit a bed into my closet) to go back to school.  My fiancĂ© and I drove from Kansas to Cambridge, MA so that I could attend MIT through the Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) program.  Over two full years I will work towards my MBA at Sloan and an MS Engineering Systems. 



  1. Public transit is awesomeGrowing up, we drove everywhere.  Public transit does not really exist in Kansas City, well at least out in the burbs where I lived.  Now I can get most anywhere in the city without driving.  With the monthly pass, it makes it easy to just hop on the T because it doesn’t cost any more to ride.
  2. Sometimes simple is nice:  When we first moved out here we had just enough stuff to get by.  Everything else was in a moving truck the movers were driving up.  We had an air mattress, some clothes, shower stuff, phones (no wi-fi), and a Bluetooth speaker.  We spent a lot of time listening to “Unbroken” on audio book like we were back before TV listing to stories on the radio.  While I will not complain that we now have a real mattress, it was freeing to not be connected at all times.
  3. Finding friends in a new town makes all the difference: We moved up earlier than most of the class because my lease ended in Kansas.  So for the first week we were here, we didn’t know anyone.  Then all of a sudden the rest of the LGOs started to arrive.  Within a few days we had a pool party, discovered $0.25 wings at Asguard, and went on our first “plant tout” at Harpoon Brewery.  Suddenly the new city felt more like home.
  4. Movies are right about a lot of things:  A lot of what I know about places, right or wrong, comes from TV and movies.  So, in preparation for moving to Cambridge we watched a lot of movies about the Boston/Cambridge area.
    • Legally Blonde – There is reading due the first day of class! 
    • Shutter Island – On our trip to Outward Bound on Thompson Island, we saw the building it was based on.       
    • Good Will Hunting - The scene where they go to a Harvard Bar, looks like Harvard Square (even if it isn’t) but the scene where Will and Skylar talk about how he knows everything is set along my walk to school
  5. Our class likes to communicate.
    • We have GroupMe to text everyone.  Great for test review or planning a prank on your teacher.
    • We plan all kinds of activities
    Free Sailing classes
      • Trivia
      • Walking tour of Boston
      • Camping Trips
      • Cheap Tuesday night movies
      • Free Yoga in the park
    Free outdoor fitness classes in Boston/Cambridge all summer!
    We are on a trivia roll!  $50 for winning!
    • We even created separate conversations for the LGO Ladies and the LGBros (They love calling themselves that).



That is enough to get us stated on the blog.  I’ll keep posting throughout the next few years.  I couple of things I have lined up are stories about the summer teams, 4th of July awesomeness, application process, and all the fun things I get to do here in Cambridge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment